Print Page  |  Sign In  |  Register
Getting Support
Share |
Only about 10% of women try to get help through their doctor or a counselor, but their success rate can be three times higher than the other 90% who didn’t look for support. Be prepared to reach out and take advantage of programs and treatments that can help you, and find out if smoking cessation programs or medications are covered by your health insurance. Here are some ideas to get you started: 

• Contact the American Lung Association and/or the American Cancer Society to see if smoking cessations are offered in your community

• Research studies show that prescription medicine coupled with a nicotine patch/gum and individualized counseling, has proven very successful in helping people stop smoking. Ask your doctor for advice.

• Technological support is at your fingertips, as studies show that "supportive social media" really helps people stay smoke-free. Check out SmokefreeTXT, LiveHelp, and SmokefreeWomen to learn more.

• Ask your pharmacist to recommend filters, nicotine gum and patches, or other over-the-counter products to help stem your craving for nicotine.

• Hypnosis is often effective and available from hypnosis centers and individual therapists.Self-help methods include kits, books, videos, and online programs.

Community Search
Sign In


WomenHeart of North Oregon Coast

WomenHeart of Lenox Hill

WomenHeart of Central Connecticut

Latest News
WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) patient advocacy organization with thousands of members nationwide, including women heart patients and their families, health care providers, advocates and consumers committed to helping women live longer, healthier lives. WomenHeart supports, educates and advocates on behalf of the nearly 48 million American women living with or at risk of heart disease. Our programs are made possible by donations, grants and corporate partnerships.

2016 Copyright - WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease is a founding partner of The Heart Truth Red Dress campaign. The Heart Truth and Red Dress are trademarks of HHS.